IQSS Data Science Services is pleased to assist researchers in the Harvard community working on publication research in overcoming hurdles and bottlenecks at every stage of the research process. Publication research is any piece of research whose ultimate outcome is a paper in a peer-review journal or an equivalently credible product for disseminating research outcomes.
Specifically, we offer guidance on:
Research Design, Statistics, and Data Visualization
- Selection of research design and data collection methods
- Research data organization, secure storage, and sharing
- Research data processing, manipulation, and visualization
- Selection of statistical methods
- Study execution, results interpretation, and visualization
- Selection of research tools
- Selection of computational methods
- Selection and use of research computing facilities (e.g. IQSS RCE and FAS RC)
- Research programming and use of advanced statistical software packages (e.g., Python, R, and Stata)
- New and emerging research software packages and tools
There are two ways to meet with us:
To schedule a one-to-one consultation or request help, please send a detailed description of your specific research problem, your affiliation (School / Dept.), and position (e.g., grad student) to email@example.com or use our contact form.
We aim to respond to your message within 24 hours.
Office Hours drop in session
Drop by during office hours, which are held every Friday from 1pm to 4pm in room K332, CGIS Knafel Building, 1737 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA 02138.
Please, be aware that depending on the time of year, you may have to wait to talk to an expert.
Some important limitations of service:
At this time, we do not provide support for coursework or dual purpose research (i.e., coursework that informs a publication). That is, we do not assist patrons working on research projects as part of a course they are currently taking. This is irrespective of whether the project will inform future publications, including an undergraduate or graduate thesis.
We strongly encourage patrons who wish to pursue a publication derived from coursework to contact us once they have completed the course requirements.
In addition, we do not provide support for patrons doing consulting research/work, irrespectively whether it is part of coursework or not.