IQSS Data Science Services is pleased to assist researchers in the Harvard community working on publication research in overcoming obstacles at every stage of the research process. Publication research is any piece of research whose ultimate outcome is a paper in a peer-review journal.
We provide short-term support (up to 3 hours per publication) in the form of advice on the following:
- Research project planning: study design and tools
- Research data organization: sharing and secure storage
- Research data processing / cleaning
- Research programming (e.g., R, Python, Stata, SAS, SPSS, Matlab)
- Research code organization (e.g., Git, GitHub)
- Selection and interpretation of statistical methods
- Research data visualization
- Using high performance computing (e.g., RCE, AWS)
Limitations: Please note, we do not provide support for coursework, dual purpose research (i.e., coursework that informs a publication), or consulting research/work.
In addition to DSS consultations, IQSS provides two services for draft papers prior to them becoming public, via the Alexander and Diviya Magaro Peer Pre-Review Program:
- A detailed, constructive, anonymous peer review by a leading outside scholar incented to participate, with extremely fast turnaround (probably a few weeks)
- A full empirical replication by our internal team
This service is available for papers associated with a Harvard faculty PI.
We provide extended support over the lifecycle of a research project by embedding a data science specialist in your research team. We can design and implement a data analysis pipeline for many stages of your research project, and/or develop a prototype of your software tool. Specifically, we can help with the following:
- Writing reproducible, version controlled code (R, Python, C, C++)
- Data organization and cleaning
- Model estimation and post-estimation
- Visualization of raw data and model output
- Interpretation of results
- Writing methods and results sections of papers
- Responding to peer-reviews of our analyses
- Developing tool prototypes in R / Python
In return for this extended support, we ask for two things:
- Authorship: The data science specialist who performs the work will receive author / developer credit on all resulting research / software output (e.g., publications, talks, posters, documents, software packages).
- Compensation: IQSS will receive compensation for time spent working on the project at a rate of $75 per hour.
Selection Process: We evaluate and select projects for collaboration on a case-by-case basis, based on our available time, our expertise in the area, the feasibility of the project being completed in a reasonable time frame, and our interest in the project.
Limitations: Please note, we cannot collaborate on research projects where the primary output is a sole-authored dissertation / thesis.