We are always very interested to hear about research that has been impacted by Data Science Services. To aid us in tracking this impact, we ask that you include a short acknowledgement in your publications and/or talks. Please use the following text as a guideline. You may wish to amend the text to reflect the type of support you received (e.g., programming support).
“Statistical support was provided by data science specialist <consultant name>, at the Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University."
Please insert one or more <consultant name> from the following: Kareem Carr, Simo Goshev, Steven Worthington, Ista Zahn.
We encourage you to email your publication titles directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can include them in our list of publications, below.
In Press (n=1)
- IQSS Worthington, S. (2016) Hypodontia in the permanent dentition: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Dental Research
- HEB Carter, K. and Worthington, S. (2016) The evolution of anthropoid molar proportions. BMC Evolutionary Biology 16:110.
- HEB Carter, K. and Worthington, S. (2016) Predictors of third molar impaction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Dental Research 95(3):267-276.
- HEB Smith, T.M. and Boesch, C. (2015) Developmental defects in the teeth of three wild chimpanzees from the Tai Forest. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 157(4):556-570.
- Psych Blake, P.R, McAuliffe, K. Corbit, J., Callaghan, T.C., Barry, O., Bowie, A., Kleutsch, L., Kramer, K.L., Ross, E., Vongsachang, H., Wrangham, R. and Warneken, F. (2015) The ontogeny of fairness in seven societies. Nature
- HMS Gupta, S., Artomov, M., Goggins, W., Daly, M., Tsao, H. (2015) Gender disparity and mutation burden in metastatic melanoma. JNCI J Natl Cancer Inst 107(11):1-4.
- HEB Carter, K. and Worthington, S. (2015) Morphologic and demographic predictors of third molar agenesis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Dental Research 94(7):886-894.
- HEB Breakey, A.A., Hinde, K., Valeggia, C.R., Sinofsky, A. and Ellison, P.T. (2015) Illness in breastfeeding infants relates to concentration of lactoferrin and secretory immunoglobulin A in mother’s milk. Evolution, Medicine, and Public Health 2015(1):21:31.
- HEB Glowacki, L. and Wrangham, R. (2015) Warfare and reproductive success in a tribal population. PNAS 112(2):1-6.
- HEB Groopman, E.E, Carmody, R.N. and Wrangham, R.W. (2015) Cooking increases net energy gain from a lipid-rich food. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 156:11-18.
- Psych McAuliffe, K., Jordan, J.J. and Warneken (2015) Costly third-party punishment in young children. Cognition 134:1:10.
- GOV Tingley, D., Jamal, A., Keohane, A., and Romney D. (2015) Anti-Americanism or Anti-Interventionism in Arabic Twitter Discourses. Perspectives on Politics, 13(1): 55-73.
- GOV Tingley, D., Xu, C., Chilton, A. and Milner, H. (2015) The Political Economy of Inward FDI: Opposition to Chinese Mergers and Acquisitions. Chinese Journal of International Relations, 8(1):25-57.
- GOV Tingley, D. et al. (2015) Computer assisted text analysis for comparative politics, 2015, Political Analysis, 23(2): 254-277.
- KSG Quane, J.M., Wilson, W.J., and Hwang, J. (2015) Black Families and the Economic and Social Transformation of the Inner City since The Moynihan Report. Education Next 15, Spring.
- SOC Fosse, N.E., and Toyokawa, T. (2015) Interinstitutional Variation in Emerging Adulthood Does Selectivity Matter? Emerging Adulthood. doi: 10.1177/2167696815585685
- SOC Fosse, N.E., Grahe, J. E., and Reifman, A. (2015) Markers of Adulthood Subscale Development: Comparative Review and Assessment of Inductive and Deductive Psychometrics. Open Science Framework
- HSPH Finlay, J., et al (2015) The Effects of Maternal Mortality on Infant and Child Survival in Rural Tanzania: A Cohort Study. Maternal and Child Health Journal :1758, doi: 10.1007/s10995-015-1758-2
- HSPH Doubova, S.V. et al (2015) Access to healthcare and financial risk protection for older adults in Mexico: secondary data analysis of a national survey. BMJ Open 2015;5:e007877, doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-007877
- GOV Kelley, J., and Simmons, B. (2015) Politics by Number: Indicators as Social Pressure in International Relations. American Journal of Political Science 59(1): 55-70
- SOC Frank, M., Hsu, F. Landrum, M.B. Jha,A., Chernew, M. (2015) The Impact of a Tiered Network on Hospital Choice. Health Services Research, doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12291
- Health Policy Song, H., Tucker, A. and Murrell, K. (2015) The Diseconomies of Queue Pooling: An Empirical Investigation of Emergency Department Length of Stay. Management Science. http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2014.2118
- MIT Matias, J. N., Johnson, A., Boesel, W. E., Keegan, B., Friedman, J., and DeTar, C. (2015). Reporting, Reviewing, and Responding to Harassment on Twitter. Women, Action, and the Media.http://womenactionmedia.org/twitter-report
- Psych Dillon, M. R., Pires, A. C., Hyde, D. C., & Spelke, E. S. (2015). Children's expectations about training the approximate number system. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 33(4), 411-418
- GOV Tingley, D., Renshon, J. and Lee, J.J. (2015) Physiological Arousal and Political Beliefs. Political Psychology 36(5):569-585.
- SOC Pernell-Gallagher, K. (2015) Learning From Performance: Banks, Collateralized Debt Obligations, and the Credit Crisis. Social Forces 94(1):31-59.
- OEB Baldwin, M.W. Toda, Y., Nakagita, T. O’Connell, M.J., Klasing, K.C., Misaka, T., Edwards, S.V. and Liberies, S.D. (2014) Evolution of taste perception in hummingbirds by transformation of the ancestral umami receptor. Science 345:929-933.
- HEB Carter, K., Worthington, S. and Smith, T.M. (2014) Non-metric dental traits and hominin phylogeny. Journal of Human Evolution 69:123-128.
- HEB Reiches, M.R., Moore, S.E., Prentice, A.M. and Ellison, P.T. (2014) Endocrine responses, weight change, and energy sparing mechanisms during Ramadan among Gambian adolescent women. American Journal of Human Biology 26(3):395-400.
- Hist. Sci. Gillis-Buck, E.M. and Richardson, S.S. (2014) Autism as a biomedical platform for sex differences research. BioSocieties 9:262-283.
- HEB Jordan, J.J., McAuliffe, K. and Warneken (2014) Development of in-group favoritism in children’s third-party punishment of selfishness. PNAS 111(25):1-6.
- HEB Kato, A., Tang, N., Borries, C., Papakyrikos, A.M., Hinde, K., Miller, E., Kunimatsu, Y., Hirasaki, E., Shimizu, D. and Smith, T.M. (2014) Intra- and interspecific variation in macaque molar enamel thickness. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 155:447-459.
- Health Policy Hickox, A.E. and Liberman, M.C. (2014) Is noise-induced cochlear neuropathy key to the generation of hyperacusis or tinnitus? Journal of Neurophysiology 111(3):552-564.
- GOV Tingley, D. (2014) Face-off: Facial Features and Strategic Choice. Political Psychology 35(1):35-55
- GSD Peiser, R., and Huang, Y., (2014) The World’s Most Expensive Streets: Where have rents recovered the most since 2008? Retail Property Insights 21(1): 55-61.
- GOV Tingley, D. et al (2014) Structural topic models for open ended survey responses. American Journal of Political Science 58(4):1064-1082
- GOV Tingley, D., and Ludwin-Perry, E. (2014) Ethical Situations and their Effects on Judgments of Punishment. Ethics and Behavior 24(3):253-262.
- HEB Eng, C. et al (2014) Directional Differences in the Biaxial Material Properties of Fascia Lata and the Implications for Fascia Function. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 42(6): 1224-1237
- HEB Rightmire, G.P. (2013) Homo erectus and Middle Pleistocene hominins: Brain size, skull form, and species recognition. Journal of Human Evolution 65:223-252.
- HEB Barak, M.M., Lieberman, D.E., Raichlen, D., Pontzer, H., Warrener, A.G. and Hublin, J-J. (2013) Trabecular evidence for a human-like gait in Australopithecus africanus. PLoS One 8(11):e77687.
- Psych McAuliffe, K., Blake, P.R., Kim, G., Wrangham, R.W. and Warneken, F. (2013) Social influences on inequity aversion in children. PLoS One 8(12):e80966.
- HEB Reiches, M.R., Moore, S.E., Prentice, A.M., Prentice, A., Sawo, Y. and Ellison, P.T. (2013) The adolescent transition under energetic stress: body composition tradeoffs among adolescent women in The Gambia. Evolution, Medicine, and Public Health 2013(1):75-85.
- Psych Dillon, M.R, Huang, Y. and Spelke, E.S. (2013) Core foundations of abstract geometry. PNAS 110(35):1-5.
- KSG Quane, J.M., Wilson, W.J., and Hwang, J. (2013) The Urban Jobs Crisis: Paths toward Employment for Low-income Blacks and Latinos. Harvard Magazine (April/May).
- HEB Carter, K.E. (2016) PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- HEB Breakey, A.A. (2015) PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- HEB Glowacki, L. (2015) PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- Health Policy Scott, K. (2015) The Politics of Healthcare Quality. PhD Dissertation. Harvard University
- MIT Bowen, B. (2015) Climate control: smart thermostats, demand response, and energy efficiency in Austin, Texas. Master’s thesis. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Urban Studies and Planning
- HSPH Castro, M., Hill,K., Salomon, J., Quattrochi, J. (2014?) Measuring and evaluating bias in indirect estimates of under-5 mortality in populations affected by HIV/AIDS: a simulation study, Chapter III in [thesis]
- GOV Kroth, Verena (2014) Essays in political economy: elections, public finance and service delivery in South Africa. PhD thesis, The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
- GOV Lazaridi, N., (2014) Why Do the Post-Soviet States Integrate? A Qualitative and Network Analysis of Integration Processes at Policy Domain and Micro Levels, Master’s thesis, Harvard University
- HEB McAuliffe, K. (2013) The evolution and development of inequity aversion. PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- GSD Samuelson, H., (2013) Toward Buildings that Work: Reusing Design-phase Energy Models for Operations-phase Improvements. PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- HBS Mazza, M.C. (2013) Encouraging Healthful Dietary Behavior in a Hospital Cafeteria: A Field Study Using Theories from Social Psychology and Behavioral Economics. PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- Health Policy Botta, M. (2013) Technological Innovation and Policy Responses in Health Care. PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- Health Policy Wikler, E (2013), Transformations in Health Policy: An Analysis of Alzheimer's Disease Testing, Medicaid Enrollment, and Insurance Market Concentration. Ph.D., Harvard University
- HEB Georgiev, A.V. (2012) Energetic costs of reproductive effort in male chimpanzees. PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- HEB Wobber, V. (2012) Comparative Cognitive Development and Endocrinology in Pan and Homo. PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- SOC Pinto, S. (2012) Nations and Occupations: Towards a New Political Economy of Work. PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
Working papers (n=21)
- ECON Mahoney, N.,Liebman, J. (under review) Do Expiring Budgets Lead to Wasteful Year-End Spending? Evidence from Federal Procurement.
- HEB McAuliffe, K. (In prep.) Inequity aversion in social canids: a comparative test of domestic dogs and dingoes.
- HEB McAuliffe, K., Blake, P.R. and Warneken, F. (In prep.) Look who’s watching: reputation effects on fairness in children.
- HEB Blake, P., McAuliffe, K., Callaghan, T., Corbit, J. Bowie, A., Kramer, K., Warneken, F. (In prep.) Development of inequity aversion across seven cultures.
- GOV Blackwell, M., Glynn, A., (working paper) How to Make Causal Inferences with Time-Series Cross-Sectional Data.
- GSE Bridwell-Mitchell, E.N. (working paper) Them That's Got Shall Have: School Social Capital and Access to Resources in the Organizational Field. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University
- SOC Truesdale, B (unpublished manuscript) From Tough Jobs to No Jobs? Exploring Pathways to Work Disability.
- HBS Stern, A.D., Cutler, D., Skinner, J., and Wennberg, D. (2013 working paper) Physician Beliefs and Patient Preferences: A New Look at Regional Variation in Health Care Spending. NBER Working Paper 19320 / Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 15-090
- HBS Stern, A.D. (2015 working paper) Innovation under Regulatory Uncertainty: Evidence from Medical Technology. Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 16-005
- KSG Stern, A., Morton, F., Stern, S., (In prep) The Industrial Organization of the Biologics Industry: Theory, Empirics, and Policy Implications
- KSG Honig, D., (2014 working paper) Navigation by Judgment: Organizational Autonomy in the Delivery of Foreign Aid.
- ECON Jaffe, S. and Kominers, S.D. (2014 working paper) Taxation in Matching Markets.
- HSPH Gorski, M.T., Cohen, J.F.W., Hoffman, J.A., Rosenfeld, L., Chaffee, R., Smith, L., Rimm, E.B (In prep) Putting Smarter Snacks in Massachusetts: Results from Middle Schools and High Schools.
- MIT Amengual, M., Coslovsky, S. and Yang, D (2015 working paper) Who opposes labor regulations? Explaining Variation in Managers’ Perceptions.
- ECON Akhtari, M., Moreira, D. and Trucco, L. (2014 working paper) Political Turnover, Bureaucratic Turnover, and the Quality of Public Services. SSRN: 2538354
- GOV Arbesu, H., Marshall, J., and Snyder, J. (2015 under review) Leveling the Playing Field: How Equalizing Access to Political Advertising Helps Locally Non-Dominant Parties in Consolidating Democracies.
- GOV Smith, D. and Martin, S. (2015 under review) Political Dynasties and the Selection of Cabinet Ministers. SSRN:2628717
- Psych Dillon, M. R., Pires, A. C., Hyde, D. C., and Spelke, E. S. (2015 under review ). Children's expectations about training the approximate number system. Under review.
- KSG Minson, J. A., Mueller, J. S. and Larrick, R. P. (2015 r&r). The contingent wisdom of dyads: When discussion enhances versus undermines the accuracy of collaborative judgments. Management Science.
- KSG Aduka, A. (2013 working paper), Sanitation and Education
- GOV White, A. (2015 working paper), Misdemeanor Disenfranchisement? The demobilizing effects of brief jail spells on potential voters
Conference presentations / abstracts (n=25)
- HEB Carter, K. and Worthington, S. (2015) Morphologic and demographic predictors of third molar agenesis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology Suppl. 60, - podium presentation.
- HEB Tang, N., Jeffery, N., Graham, P., Worthington, S., Kato, A., Sirianni, J., Lieberman, D., et al. (2014). The Ontogeny of Human and Macaque Prenatal Brain and Tooth Growth. American Journal of Physical Anthropology Suppl. 58, - podium presentation.
- HSPH Lopez, D., Storer, A. et al. (2013). Analysis of police narratives to identify common themes in bike crash hotspots. In 141st APHA Annual Meeting (November 2-November 6, 2013). APHA.
- Psych Mehr, S.A., Spelke, E.S. (2013) Infants selectively attend to singers of familiar lullabies. Poster session at the Biennial Meeting of the Cognitive Development Society, Memphis, TN.
- HEB Carter, K. E., Worthington, S. and Smith, T. M. (2013) The evolution of third molar agenesis in humans. American Journal of Physical Anthropology Suppl. 56, 95. - podium presentation
- HEB Reiches, M.R. (2013) Adolescent Energy: Ramadan in The Gambia. Bay Area Colloquium in Population. Berkeley, Oct 3, 2013. - podium presentation
- HEB Meredith S.L. (2013) “Top-down” socialization of sex-typed behavioral development in Lemur catta? American Journal of Physical Anthropology Suppl. 56, 197. - podium presentation
- HEB Shattuck-Heidorn, H., Reiches, M., Moore, S.E., Prentice, A.M. and Ellison, P.T. (2013) C-reactive protein, early life, and growth in the Gambia. American Journal of Physical Anthropology Suppl. 56, 252. - podium presentation
- HEB Alex, B.A. (2013) Establishing Contexts of Encounters: Radiocarbon dating archaeological assemblages with implications for Neanderthal-modern human interactions. Seminar at the Kimmel Center for Archaeological Science, Weizmann Institute, Israel. - podium presentation
- HEB Alex, B.A., Boaretto, E. and Master, D. (2013) Establishing Best Practice for Bone Collection and Storage at the Site of Ashkelon, Israel. 78th meeting Society for American Archaeology, Honolulu. - podium presentatio
- HEB Georgiev, A.V., Thompson, M.E., Muller, M.N. and Wrangham, R.W. (2013) Physiological costs of dominance and mating effort in male chimpanzees. American Journal of Physical Anthropology Suppl. 56, 128. - podium presentation
- HEB McAuliffe, K., Blake, P.R., Kim, G., Wrangham, R.W. and Warneken, F. (2013) Social influences on inequity aversion in children. HEBS, Miami, July 2013 - podium presentation
- HEB McAuliffe, K., Blake, P.R. and Warneken, F. (2013) Audience effects on fairness in children. SRCD, Seattle, April 2013 - poster presentation
- HEB Barak M.M., Lieberman D.E., Raichlen D., Pontzer H., Warrener A., and Hublin J.J. (2013) Evidence for extended lower limb postures in early hominin locomotion. New England Science Symposium. The Joseph B. Martin Conference Center at Harvard Medical School, Boston MA, USA. March 02, 2013. - poster presentation
- HEB Barak M.M. (2012) A Wolff in sheep's clothing or a case of cry Wolff? The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Koret School of Veterinary Medicine; Rehovot, Israel. June 26, 2012. - podium presentation
- GOV Blackwell, M. and Glynn, A., (2013) How to Make Causal Inferences with Time-Series Cross-Sectional Data, MPSA 2013
- Health Policy Rikicki, S. (2013) "Residential Mobility, Fertility, and Pregnancy Outcomes: Evidence from the Household and Welfare Study of Accra", Population Association of America
- Health Policy Song, H. The Diseconomies of Queue Pooling in a Discretionary Task Setting: An Empirical Investigation of Emergency Department Length of Stay; with Anita L. Tucker and Karen L. Murrell. INFORMS MSOM Conference, Fontainebleau, France, July 2013
- SOC Harvey, H. (2015) Cumulative Effects of Family Structure on Educational Attainment. Presented at Population Association of American annual meeting, April 2015. San Diego, CA.
- GOV Tingley, D., Roberts, M., Stewart, B, and Airoldi, E. (2013) The structural topic model and applied social science. Presented at the Neural Information Processing Society Conference
- KSG Stolper, S., Do, Q.-T., and Joshi, S. (2014) Pollution Externalities and Health: A Study of Indian Rivers. Presented at International Growth Centre's Development Policy Conference in Delhi, India.
- KSG Stolper, S., (2015) Energy Tax Incidence under Imperfect Competition: An Application to Automotive Fuel. Presented to Spain's National Competition Commission in Madrid, Spain.
- SOC Fosse, N.E. (2015) Responses to Workplace Discrimination and Mental Health: Findings from a Mixed-Methods Study of African-Americans. Paper presentation at Section on Social Psychology Roundtable (co-sponsored with the Section on Sociology of Emotions). American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. August, 2015.
- SOC Fosse, N. E. (2015) How do Working-Class and Middle-Class African-Americans Respond to Workplace Discrimination, and is this Important for Understanding Variability in Mental Health? Roundtable: Race and Workplace Inequality, Eastern Sociological Society, Annual Meeting. New York, NY. February 27, 2015.
- SOC Fosse, N. (2014) How At-Risk Men Maintain Religious Hope: Ontological, Relational, and Transformational Narratives. Paper presented at the regular session on “Everyday Religion” at the American Sociological Association annual meeting. San Francisco, CA. August 18, 2014.